Yes, I am back with another fantastic food post based on David’s frequent food tweets!
Glad that a Central American restaurant has opened not too far away! Had a good meal at Cafe Chapin. Guatemalan food
This was tweeted on Jan 3rd, 2012.
This restaurant is located on State Street in Salt Lake City, UT.
(Latin fried ripe plantains)
Continue reading for the recipe ….
4 to 6 servings
- Ripe plantains (plátanos maduros), peeled, cut in half crosswise, then lengthwise — 4
- Oil for frying
- Heat about 1/2-inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the plantains, a few pieces at a time, and sauté until lightly browned. Turn and sauté the second side.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the rest of the plantains. Sprinkle with a little salt serve hot.
- The plantains can be sliced in rounds if you like.
- Top the plantains with a little brown sugar or piloncillo if they need added sweetness. Other possible garnishes are crumbled queso fresco, grated Parmesan cheese, sour cream or seasoned tomato sauce.